“You only live once and life is wonderful so eat that damn cupcake”!
Tonight I made a to-die-for (yet surprisingly easy) risotto.
Disclaimer: There is nothing healthy, low-cal or vegan about this recipe and it was delicious!
**Leave out the bacon for a Vegetarian version.**
You will need:
- 4 cups of Vegetable stock
- 1 Tblsp of butter
- ½ onion , finely chopped
- 3-4 strips of thick sliced bacon (I bought applewood smoked) chopped
- 1 tsp dried or fresh thyme
- 1 heaping cup of Arborio (risotto) rice
- 1/3 cup of white wine
- 1/2 cup frozen or fresh peas
- freshly ground white pepper
- 1 Tblsp soft crumbly goat’s cheese ( used Capriny Brand)
- 2 Tblsp Parmesan cheese
- In a deep pan on medium/high, heat the butter, then add the onion, bacon and thyme and fry for about 8 minutes until the onion is soft but not browning (or burning).
- Add the Arborio rice and turn up the heat so it almost fries.
- After a minute the rice will look slightly translucent. Add the white wine and keep stirring until the alcohol evaporates.
- Now add 1/2 a cup of hot stock. Turn down the heat but try to keep a fairly high simmer. Keep adding ladlefuls of stock, stirring constantly and allowing each ladleful to be absorbed completely before adding the next.
- Add the peas into the stock when there are a few ladlefuls left, and add them with the stock. Stir until the rice is soft, then season with pepper.
- Remove from the heat and stir in half the goat’s cheese and the Parmesan. Sprinkle the remaining goat’s cheese over the top and eat as soon as possible while it retains its lovely moist texture.
- Serve with a chilled glass of white wine or Prosecco like I did. Enjoy.