Things are getting a little spooky. There’s a silence in the city. We grocery shopped this afternoon, empty shelves and people hidden behind masks. The Coronavirus panic has set in. All sporting events have been cancelled. I literally got a pot of water on the stove for dinner tonight and our water shut off suddenly. Our home heating system works on hot water so the radiators started gurgling as the water drained from the pipes. The cats were very intrigued by the sound.
Trying not to let all the paranoia affects us we’ve been taking it easy at home. I did stockpile the pantry last week, at first feeling a little silly but finding certain staples (like brown rice, rolled oats and canned beans and chickpeas) completely out today, I’m glad I did.
It’s a blustery cold night tonight. I made Gnocchi for dinner with white wine, mushrooms and feta. Gnocchi is made out of potato and is a wonderful vegan alternative to certain pastas that contain eggs. I bought fresh packaged Gnocchi that takes 2 minutes to cook so this recipe was quick and oh so tasty!
- 1 lb potato gnocchi (homemade or store bought)
- 1 lb mixed white button and cremini mushrooms roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp garlic butter (or olive oil for vegan)
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp garlic paste (optional)
- 1 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1/3 cup white wine such as Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, White Zinfandel.
- 1/3 cup mushroom broth (you can use 2/3 white wine or broth if you don’t have the other)
- cup crumbled feta cheese
- chopped parsley
- In a medium pot, bring water to boil. Add the gnocchi and cook according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
While the gnocchi is cooking, melt the butter (or use oil) in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes, letting them brown nicely. Add garlic paste (optional), chopped garlic and rosemary and cook for another minute.
Add wine and mushroom broth and cook for 3-4 minutes, until the wine is almost evaporated but there is still some liquid remaining. Add the gnocchi, stir everything gently and keep cooking for 5-7 minutes until the gnocchi brown slightly.
- Add parsley and mix in for a few minutes.
Remove pan from the heat, sprinkle with feta cheese and Enjoy!
- I made a side of salad and added some pea sprouts (because I wanted to use them up)
Stay healthy everyone. Thanks for joining me.