If you’ve visited my home and have been inside my bathroom, you will have quickly realized that when I say I love makeup, it’s no joke. My husband and I have separate bathrooms. His, practical: One body and face wash in the shower. Toothbrush, hand wash and cologne on the counter. Let’s just say my bathroom gives Sephora a run for it’s money.
Everyone has their own personal way of expressing themselves be it with a handmade all-natural perfume, a unique sense of style, tattoos, piercings or an out-there hair colour. My thing is makeup. I so appreciate the art of starting on a blank canvas and experimenting with colour, contours, highlight. Some of my favourite makeup artists are Kevin Acoin, Charlotte Tilbury, Lisa Elridge and Mario Dedivanovic. Each have their own way of bringing out the natural beauty in a woman. I could watch their tutorials for hours and I really love how subtle as well as over the top makeup can be.
When I have the luxury of time I go all out with false lashes, lip liner, spray tanning. Today however I’m keeping it basic, well “basic” in my mind. This is my tried and true 5 (maybe closer to 10) minute face. Products I’ll wear on my day off or when I’m on vacation and have a glowing tan and don’t need a lot of makeup.
I’ll link all the products below in case you’re looking for something new to try.
Clockwise from the top:
1.L’oreal Lumi Glotion – After my skincare and sunscreen, a pea sized amount of this illuminating cream gives my skin an instant glass skin effect and gives a glow-from-within when worn under foundation. I wear the Medium Glow tone.
2. Dior Flash Luminizer Pen in 025 Vanilla – I’ve done my research and tried countless concealers. This one is by far the best. It not only hides dark circles and under eye bags but the pearlescent shimmer in it naturally brings light to the area and never creases. Even with zero makeup on, a touch of this pen under the eyes and I instantly look refreshed and awake. https://www.dior.com/en_us/products/beauty-Y0883558-flash-luminizer-radiance-booster-pen
3. The Original Beauty Blender – This is one of my favourite makeup memes because I literally have a makeup brush for every one of my makeup needs. However, this is a 5 (max 10) minute face however and when time is of the essence I use my trusty beauty blender (and my fingers). Just run under water, squeeze and this baby will work for applying foundation, cream blushers, contour and loose powder. https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/the-original-beautyblender-P445009?icid2=products%20grid:p445009:product
4. Lancome Translucence Silky Loose Powder in the shade 200 – I do love the glass skin and dewy skin look, however, when you’re skin is as oily as mine is, your T-zone needs all the help it can get. Throughout Autumn and Winter when my skin is pale-er I use Charlotte Tilbury’s Airbrush Flawless Finish in Fair (and I still use it to set under eye concealer when I have more time). In Spring and Summer when I have a bit more of a glow, I use this loose powder and only where I’m shiny: between my brows, sides of my nose and chin. This powder sinks into my skin and doesn’t cake or crease. https://www.lancome.ca/en/makeup/face/powder/translucence/CA-439202-LAC.html
5. NYX Precision Brow Pencil & YSL Couture Brow – I’m putting these two products in one category because I use them for one purpose, to shape and hold my brows in place. I used to use eye shadow and a brush to do my brows but to the disapproval of my eyebrow guru Rupal at Henna & Brow Bar (who does the best eyebrow threading in the city) I discovered NYX brow pencil and it’s changed my life. It’s a slanted shaped pencil that makes filling in your brows so quick and easy. When I’m going for a strong brow (which is almost always) I top it off with a coat of the YSL Couture Brow gel in 01 Brun Dore. If I’m going for a really basic no makeup makeup look, I skip the NYX pencil and just brush my brows with this gel that holds your brows in place all day. https://www.yslbeauty.ca/en/makeup/eyes/brows/couture-brow-shaper-mascara/WW-20722YSL.html#q=couture+brow&start=5
6. Stila Heaven’s Hue Highlighter in the shade Kitten – No matter the season I am a highlighter girl. Maybe it’s my childhood obsession with all things glittery but I’m telling you, if I see any makeup that has any kind of shimmer to it, I’m buying it. I want my cheekbones to be seen from space and I use this creamy melt-in-your-skin highlighter on the tops of my cheeks, over the brow bone, down the center of my nose, in the inside corners of my eyes and on my cupids bow to give the illusion of thicker lips. The name says it all, Kitten, prrrrrrr. https://stila.ca/products/heavens-hue-highlighter?variant=7145061580858
7. Kiko Milano Gold Waves Bronzer in 01 Sun Celebration Honey – I discovered Kiko Cosmetics during my trip to Italy last summer. A beautiful store comparable to Mac (but way cheaper). We walked by it a couple of times during our sight seeing in Florence but I didn’t want to make my husband and his mother wait while I indulged in a good Jennifer style makeup fest so I waited patiently and struck when the moment arose. One morning, while my husband and his mom were on a 1/2 day wine tour, I strolled the streets of Siena and strolled straight to the Kiko store I’d seen the night before. I’ll admit, I bought a lot of stuff and even with a bag full of makeup, the bill was only $90. This buttery bronzer smells like chocolate and is huge. I use it on my face, neck and chest to give my skin a kiss of sunshine. https://www.kikocosmetics.com/en-us/make-up/face/bronzers/p-KC090302016001A
8. Nars Blush in Orgasm – A cult favourite ever since Kim Kardashian West mentioned it being her favourite. This pinky peach blush has gold flecks in it that sparkle and make your cheeks pop. It’s the perfect hue for any skin tone and because of the steep price (and a dupe I found by ELF) I hadn’t tried it until recently. I can see why it’s so beloved by makeup artists and Youtubers. It’s a gorgeous youthful glowing blush which is all you can possibly want on your cheeks. https://www.narscosmetics.ca/CA/orgasm-blush/0607845040132.html?cgid=best-sellers
9. Lancome Eyeshadow Palette in Taupe Craze – Usually, if I’m in a big rush, I either forgo eyeshadow all-together or just use the same shade I’m using for blush on my eyelids for a monochromatic look. This palette is lovely. It’s neutral and you can use the darker shade for brows as well as eyeliner making it great for travelling. It’s an easy one to take from day to night as well. https://www.lancome.ca/en/makeup/eyes/eyeshadows/color-design-palette/CA-328097-LAC.html#q=palette&start=1
10. Revlon Colorstay Liquid Eye Pen – I’ve been loyal to this eye pen for years. It’s just like a marker; easy to hold and use and it’s never run on me. My trick for the perfect cat eye is to follow the curve of my lower lash up toward the end of my eyebrow. Works every time. https://www.revlon.com/eyes/eyeliner/colorstay-liquid-eye-pens?shade=sharp%20line
11. Chanel Le Volume Revolution Mascara – This mascara does exactly what it says; it creates volume and is a great daytime mascara. I wouldn’t say it’s the best if you’re looking for lengthening your eyelashes but I have naturally long lashes, so this one works great for me. It doesn’t smudge and is not waterproof. I hate waterproof mascaras because you have to rub your eyes so much to get it off. I’d rather have my mascara run down my face a-la Young & the Restless than have massive creases under my eyes from trying to get waterproof mascara off. https://www.chanel.com/en_CA/fragrance-beauty/makeup/p/eyes/mascara/le-volume-revolution-de-chanel-extreme-volume-mascara-3d-printed-brush_-p191710.html#skuid-0191710
12. Artdeco 3 in 1 Make-up Fixing Spray – I always finish my makeup application with a good setting spray. It’s like hairspray for your face and it really keeps everything looking fresh, dewy and doesn’t allow makeup to budge. This line is, I believe by supermodel Claudia Schiffer or at least she is the face of the brand. I can’t seem to find a link to the fixing spray on their site. I received it in my Artdeco beauty advent calendar at Christmas but the line is sold at Shopper Drugmart Beauty Boutique. https://beauty.shoppersdrugmart.ca/Luxury/Categories/Makeup/Face/Primer/3-In-1-Make-Up-Fixing-Spray/p/BB_4052136058291?variantCode=4052136058291
13. Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream & YSL Rouge Volupte Shine Lipstick in the shade Pink In Confidence 008 – Of course after photographing and editing the photos, I realized I completely forgot lips! When I’m going for a quick natural look I stick to a simple gloss like my can’t-live-without Eight Hour Cream or this shade that practically matches my natural lip shade but just seems to make them look better. https://www.yslbeauty.ca/en/makeupdotcom/rouge-volupte-shine/3365440197763.html
14. Henri Bendel New York Makeup Bag – Sadly this makeup bag is no longer available since Henri Bendel closed down in January after 124 years (you heard me right) in business. I’m so sad I never got to visit the store in person.
Thanks for joining me today and hope you enjoyed playing with makeup. It’s one of my favourite pastimes.