British Columbia is on fire!. Literally. There are currently close to 800 fires burning throughout the interior and Cariboo region of BC. The winds must have changed because this morning we woke to hazy skies and a crimson sun. It’s August 1st, Lammas or the first harvest that we as pagans celebrate. Wheat, corn, squash, grapes and an abundance of fruit are ready to be enjoyed.
In honour of the Harvest Festival we decided to make a Summer feast: Sweet corn on the cob, BBQ chicken and my favourite summer Orzo Salad.
You will need:
- 1 cup whole wheat orzo, uncooked
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- about 3/4 of a bag of baby spinach,sliced
- 2 handfuls of dried cranberries
- Feta cheese crumbled (as much as you like)
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds (I toast them in a nonstick pan over medium heat for about 5 minutes with a drizzle of sesame oil)
- 1-2 tablespoons sugar (I add 1 then taste and add more if needed)
- 2 teaspoons minced green onion (scallion)
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 cup Apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 cup of Olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook orzo in boiling water until it is al dente. Strain and set aside to cool.
- In bowl, whisk together sesame seeds, sugar, green onion, paprika, vinegar, oil and pinches of salt and pepper.
- In a large salad bowl combine orzo, almonds, spinach and cranberries. Gently toss ingredients with about 1/2 amount of dressing. Taste and add more if you like.
- Add feta cheese and gently toss again.
- Serve at room temperature or slightly chilled.
Happy Harvest friends!